Angel Porch of Art and Soul Photography provides creative photography with a modern twist. Serving the Oklahoma City Metro and surrounding areas with maternity, newborn, children, family, senior, engagement, bridal, and wedding photography.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

"What to Wear?"

This is the toughest part when preparing for your photo shoot. I get the question before almost every shoot. What do we wear?? I was so happy to find that http://www.gap.com has the perfect attire planner for holiday and family photo sessions. I feel it is a little late to be posting this - seeing as the holiday sessions are beginning to wrap up, but hopefully it will help all families prepare in the future. I will also list some ides for Senior shoot - since they are right around the corner :) (Disclaimer...these are my personal opinions and tastes. Wear whatever makes you smile and happy for your session. That is truly the most important thing. But.....in case you do want a little advise , read on.) 1. Be individules! There is a time and place for matching black shirts and khakis, but I am trying to tell your family story with my camera, and I know there is much more to your family than matching outfits. You are unique and beautiful and the greatest part is, when you are together in a single image, you "still" blend as a family. 2. I love kids in bright colors and patterns. Yes Patterns! Polka dots, stripes, kid-like,cheerful, happy, fun and youthful. (my clients rock at dressing the kiddos - check out the children section to get ideas of fun sweaters, hats, scarves and more!) 3. Boys/Men look great in jackets and with a layerd look. A button up shirt with a jacket over it is perfect! Men also look great in sweaters and even turtlenecks. (my husband will kill me for that one - he frowns at the mention of turtlenecks) 4. Girls look simply adorable in dresses/skirts. Try mixing a skirt with some striped tights and a solid shirt. Adorable look! Girls should look fashionable, timeless, but not too frilly. 5. I think moms should be beautiful! Moms should stand out like the most beautiful flower in the family vase. I like moms in dresses and skirts or fashional jeans and heels..yes..heels. 6. Feel free to bring the fun stuff. Unique. If your toddler has one of those "I do my own stunts" shirts and he or she does in fact, do his own stunts. Let them wear it! We can alway put a button up shirt over it later for some more traditional shots. 7. Did I mention texture..Fabrics with lots of texture look amazing in pictures! There are times I can feel that soft sweater just by looking at it in the picture. Bring you scarves, wool hats and plat up the texture - you won't be dissapointed! 8. I LOVE maternity bellies in bright colors and patterns. 9. One more note on the matching family thing. While you don't want to necessarily match, you should be coordinated. Try to stick with similar or at least complimentary color tones. Earthy color look great on families - shades of browns on kids and mom in deep purple, dad in a rust colors and denim. 10. Once again this is just my personal ideas that I have seen work well in photographs. This is your shoot - dress however you would like. Only you know your family and what feels best to you. Listed below are some of my favorite clothing lines for families/kids. If you are looking for some ideas - check them out - gotta love that they put entire outfits together - makes getting "the look" easy as can be! http://www.teacollection.com (amazing texture!!!) http://www.thegap.com love the section on outfits for holiday pictures http:www.bodenusa.com layering masters www.oldnavy.com they are brilliant at putting together unique outfits at afforadable prices. www.gymboree.com www.thechildrensplace.com another layering master! www.janieandjack.com More to come - I will post the Senior session "what to wear" very soon!

No comments:

Angel Porch of Art and Soul Photography Serves the Oklahoma City Metro and surrounding areas with contemporary style maternity, newborn, children, family, senior, engagement and wedding photography.